Capt. Bruce Chard
Capt. Bruce Chard
Captain Bruce’s love and commitment to the sport of fly fishing is shown in his accomplishments within the fly fishing industry. Since becoming addicted to fly fishing in his teens, Bruce knew what his career was going to be right out of high school and didn’t waste any time after graduating by promptly starting his fly fishing guiding business in the Florida Keys. Bruce has since been a full time Florida Keys fly fishing flats guide gaining over 30 years of experience and counting. Specializing in sight fishing for bonefish, tarpon and permit Bruce has not only become one of the most sought-after fly-fishing guides in all the Florida Keys but also one of the top saltwater fly casting instructors in the fly fishing industry.
At a very young age of 23, Bruce worked hard to become a Master Certified International Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Casting Instructor. Chard then started what has become one of the most popular international saltwater fly fishing schools in the industry. Locations of Bruce’s schools include popular saltwater fly fishing destinations within Belize, Mexico, Guatemala, the Bahamas, Christmas Island, The Seychelles Islands and the Florida Keys.
Along with his schools Bruce also offers fly fishing hosted trips that offer fly anglers the opportunity to travel and experience the world first hand through all things fly. Chards annual hosted fly fishing journeys have covered 19 countries on 5 different continents.
Bruce has also worked closely within the fly fishing industry and its manufactures his entire career. His industry connections are shown through the many different fly companies he works with and represents. These relationships have led to the opportunity for Bruce to design his own personal fly fishing industry award winning salt water fly line taper design over the years with both Scientific Anglers and Airflo Fly Line companies. Chards Scientific Anglers “Grand Slam” Line and Chards Airflo’s “Tropical Punch” fly lines offered saltwater fly anglers worldwide the best well known saltwater tapered fly lines every produced.
Bruce’s Other Accomplishments:
- FFI Master Certified Fly Casting Instructor
- Over 30 years of Guiding/Instruction Experience in the most technical saltwater destination in the world – The Florida Keys
- Previous American Fly Fishing Trade Association Board Member – AFFTA
- Featured Angler in the full length fly fishing film “RISE” by Confluence Films
- Featured Angler/Guide along with son BJ in the popular fly fishing TV show called Ford - “The Outfitters” with Host Conway Bowman – sportsman Channel – Tarpon Fishing in the Florida Keys
- Guest Host on multiple shows with “Seasons on the Fly” Fly Fishing TV show on The Discovery Channel
- Fly Fisherman Magazine Salt Water Contributor
- Designed and created a full line of Bruce Chard Professional Series Airflo Tropical Punch Salt Water Fly Lines
- Designed and Created a full line of Scientific Anglers Award Winning Saltwater Grand Slam Series Fly Line Tapers - Winning best of show award for salt water lines at the International Fly Tackle Dealer Show in Vegas
- Has been featured on the cover of 19 different high-profile fly-fishing magazines
- Featured in over 6 Grays Sporting Journals photo essays over the past 20 years
- Top Pro Angler, Advisory Staff or Ambassador Member for the following fly fishing companies – Scientific Anglers Advisor, G-Loomis Rods Elite Ambassador, Hatch Outdoors Pro Staff, Simms Pro Team, Costa Elite Pro Team, Yeti, Regal Vises, and Gamakatsu Hooks
- Featured Fly Fishing Pod Casts – Wet Fly Swing, WFS Guide, Gink & Gasoline, Fly Fishing Insider, Ask About Fly Fishing and Bonefish on the Brain
- Over 24 custom Chard fly patterns with Riverborn fly company
- Salt Water Contributor for Gink & Gasoline – One of the top fly fishing blogs in the industry
- Hosts popular fly fishing schools and adventure trips around the world throughout the Florida Keys, Bahamas, Belize, Mexico, Christmas Island, Dubai, Seychelles, Argentina, Brazil, Alaska, New Zealand, Canada and Guatemala for the past 18 years
- Has fly fished in over 15 different countries over 5 continents world wide – with over 800 days fished within the Bahamas
- Bruce is a popular paid speaker and casting instructor at fly fishing shows, fly clubs, and fly shops nation-wide averaging over 30 speaking events per year
Bruce resides in the Lower Florida Keys with his wife Sara and son BJ who is following in his dads footsteps as a fly fishing guide in the Florida Keys and hosting trips worldwide.